Get outside! Outdoor Summer Fun for Kids
Movies in the Park
Who: All ages
What: Hosted by the Fort Smith Parks and Recreation Department, moviegoers are encouraged to take blankets or lawn chairs to enjoy the show. Vending trucks will be on-site selling snacks and soft drinks. fortsmithparks.com
When/Where: Films will start shortly after a dark. In the event of rain, the movie will be shown at the same scheduled park the next day.
- June 13: Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, Creekmore Park, Rogers Avenue and South 31st Street
- June 25: Despicable Me 2, Tilles Park, Grand Avenue and North 37th Street
- June 27: Ghostbusters, Tilles Park
- July 11: Saving Mr. Banks, Creekmore Park
- July 25: Walking with Dinosaurs, Tilles Park
- Aug. 8: Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Creekmore Park
- Aug. 22: The Nut Job, Tilles Park.
Creekmore Park Pool
Who: Swimmers of all ages What: Creekmore Park pools and splashpad are open from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day.
When: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 1-6 p.m. Sunday
Cost: $2 adults; $1 children 6 and under; season passes available
Where: Creekmore Park, Rogers Avenue and South 31st Street, Fort Smith
Martin Luther King Jr. Park Splashpad/Sprayground
Who: Kids of all ages What: Splash pad offers water play with nozzles and bucket showers.
When: 6 a.m.-dark daily through Labor Day
Where: Martin Luther King, Jr. Park, Greenwood Avenue and North O Street, Fort Smith
Ozark Explorer Camp
Who: Ages 8-14
What: Lake Fort Smith will host a two-day/one-night trip of fun, adventure and learning. The trip includes kayaking and boating on the lake, swimming, crafts and hiking. Meals and lodging are provided. Space is limited. 479-369-2469
When: July 7-8
Where: Lake Fort Smith State Park, 15458 Shepherd Springs Road, Mountainburg, Ark.
Alma Aquatic Center
Who: All ages
What: The largest outdoor water park in western Arkansas has eight slides, a diving board, three swimming pools, a covered wading pool and play area. The center also features picnic tables, walking trails, Snack Shack and more.
When: Noon-6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 1-6 p.m. Sunday
Cost: $7 for ages 3 and up; $1 for 2 and under
Where: Alma Aquatic Park, 731 City Park Road, Alma. 479-632-0700
River Valley Nature Center
Registration is required. Call 479-452-3993 or visit their website, rivervalleynaturecenter.com. River Valley Nature Center, 8300 Wells Lake Road, Fort Smith.
All programs are free.
Summer Outdoor Challenge Programs
Who: Kids who love the great outdoors
What: Kids in take part in fun, summer outdoor activities that will help them accumulate important skills. The program will culminate at the end of the summer with a final challenge.
- 9 a.m. Thursdays – Outdoor Skills Activities (archery, hiking, plant and animal ID and more);
- 11 a.m. Thursdays – BB guns and sling shot
- 9 a.m. Fridays – fishing and target casting
- 10 a.m.-noon Fridays – canoe and kayak program
Who: Ages 4- 7
What: Little ones are invited for a two-hour mini-day camp that will include activities planned just for their ages, ability and energy. A responsible parent/adult is required to stay on the premises and advance registration is required.
- 9-11 a.m. June 18 – F is for Fish
- 9-11 a.m. July 9 – S is for Snakes
- 9-11 a.m. Aug. 6 – D is for Deer
Who: Ages 6-9 and 10-13
What: Art workshops will give kids hands-on opportunities to create art using classic mediums. Youth can only sign up for three workshops to allow space for others to participate, but can be put on waiting list. Pre-registration is required.
When: 9:30-11 a.m. for ages 6-9; noon-1:30 p.m. for ages 10-13
- July 1 – Sketching Nature with Colored Pencils
- July 2 – Watercolor Techniques for Nature Painting
- July 22 – Sketching Nature with Colored Pencils
- July 23 – Mosiacs
Who: Nature lovers
What: Enjoy a wide variety of family friendly activities “after hours” at the nature center.
- 8 p.m. June 13 – Friday 13th Campfire Fun
- 6 p.m. June 17 – Camping Basics;
- 8:30 p.m. July 11 – Owl Prowl and Summer Night Hike
- July 15 – Education Barge Tours After Dark
- 7:30 p.m. Aug. 8 – Back to School Bash
- 6 p.m. Aug. 19 – How to Make a Floating Wetland